On Anniversary of Hunger Strike Pelican Bay Prisoners in Solitary Confinement See No Change, Request Intervention of CA Governor | Center for Constitutional Rights
» Newsroom » Press Releases
Pelican Bay Security Housing Unit (SHU) prisoners have organized to combat cruel conditions of confinement, and…
October 29, 2012, New York — Today, in response to Mayor Bloomberg‘s statement at last…
On Anniversary of Hunger Strike Pelican Bay Prisoners in Solitary Confinement See No Change, Request Intervention of CA Governor
Prisoners Also Issue Historic Agreement to End Racial Hostilities
October 16, 2012, New York and Crescent City, CA– On the one year anniversary of the end of their hunger strikes and the agreements struck with the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation (CDCR), prisoners in the Security Housing Unit (SHU) of Pelican Bay State Prison in Crescent City, California, sent an open letter to Governor Jerry Brown expressing frustration at changes that have failed to materialize. In their letter, they demanded an end to the policies that have led to hundreds of prisoners being placed in solitary confinement for more than a decade, and in many cases for over 20 years. Citing bad faith on the part of the CDCR following their agreements, the prisoners asked for the governor’s support and intervention.
The Center for Constitutional Rights is dedicated to advancing and protecting the rights guaranteed by the United States Constitution and the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. Founded in 1966 by attorneys who represented civil rights movements in the South, CCR is a non-profit legal and educational organization committed to the creative use of law as a positive force for social change.
- On Anniversary of Hunger Strike Pelican Bay Prisoners in Solitary Confinement See No Change (yubanet.com)
- Rights group: isolation units in California prisons cruel (dogmaandgeopolitics.wordpress.com)
- Suicide In Solitary: The Death of Alex Machado (dogmaandgeopolitics.wordpress.com)
- Amnesty International Denounces Torture in California Prisons –Interview w/ Tessa Murphy (indybay.org)
- Pennsylvania Lawmakers Hear Testimony on the Torture of Solitary Confinement (inprisonedwomen.wordpress.com)
- “There are no windows here!” A Man Returns to Solitary… (inprisonedwomen.wordpress.com)
- Where Are All The Photographs Of Solitary Confinement? (prisonphotography.org)